Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mirror...Mirror...On the Wall…

The past few days have been filled with excitement and loads of work. Deploying over 8000 miles self sufficiently or in my case “on my own” has been nothing short of painful. There are missed flights; customs inspections; changed flights and the ubiquitous lost piece of critical luggage has punctuated the last 48 hours as we get ready to enter back into the jungle. I remember when $1000.00 dollars seemed like such a large sum of money and now we spend that on excess baggage fees and taxi cabs to take us to the hotel here in Asia for our last bit of R&R before the long trip into the jungle. It's the type of overland movement that makes you ask your self..."why"

I spoke to several folks over the weekend…all of whom have asked “why” do I continue to do this. It is not an easy task nor is it without inherent danger but it does allow me to make a difference in areas that few would ever tread. I use to look in the mirror as many of you do and ask the simple question…”have I done anything today that will make a difference in the world for those in need?”  With the advent of the activities over the past year I can answer succinctly…Yes!
What I am referencing has nothing to do with being a good parent or good to your fellow employees…these are inherently simple yet mandatory tasks that we do because we care about those around us.  What I am talking about is stepping out of your comfort zone and doing the difficult things because those are the ones that make a difference…helping those that can’t help themselves. When I look in the mirror especially over the next few months I know that organizationally as well as personally… we have done well.

More to follow on the Anti-trafficking campaign we are now on! 
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment