Friday, January 30, 2009

The Trouble with Teens...is?

30 January 2009

Although I am anxious to hit the movies this weekend to see "Taken" I have some other issues that will be the focus of much of my attention. As many of you know I have two sons; a 17 and 14 year old who are currently at war with each other.

Now to set the stage....you have to fully understand that both boys are the love of my life and each has qualities that resonate with me on different levels.

The eldest, Jake is an athlete and willing to try anything. I recently returned from a skiing trip with them and watching Jake manipulate his snowboard was absolutely magical. I have been skiing since I was 4 and I have seen both good and bad but to see Jake "free ride" is art all by itself.

Ian is the reserved yet very dedicated skier. He handles all the terrain on the mountain to include the big bumps and does so with gusto. He, like his elder sibling is masterful as he descends the mountain without any hesitation. His lines are clean and he is constantly chasing his brother to find the quickest, most difficult difficult path forward

And there is where the problem begins....

You see they have been inseparable since birth and now as one is older and "experiencing" life anybody that gets in his way is fair game...including his brother.

That is just not right!

Looks like I am in for a very long weekend of attempting to mend fences between the two.

Perhaps I should go to Sports Authority and buy some boxing gloves (like my Dad did) and do what my brother and I did to settle family arguments...fight each other!

Hmmm.....I miss my brother...I have not spoken to him in almost a year and have not seen him in ten years.

Brian Hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment